Pages

Monday 5 March 2012

The Moose Came Back the Very Next Day

In the last few months we haven't done very much in the way of walking. Going for a walk up here is much different from in the city and requires more preparation. Also, with so many moose around it was not a really good idea. We didn't want to scare them away as we have been having too much fun watching them and we also didn't want to come face to face with one that might not take our presence to be a good thing. However, seeing as they seemed to have disappeared and the deer were back, Mountain Man decided it was time to go for a bit of a walk about the property.

Wouldn't you know it but I was elbow deep in baking (literally) so couldn't go with him. Not sure why he choose that time to go, but it being baking day I wasn't leaving the kitchen. It takes a while to get the oven in my wood stove to the right temperature and I had cookies, biscuits, scones and pizza ready to baked, so I just sighed and told him to have fun and went back to my baking. Thankfully he decided to take my camera along with him.

The air was brisk but fairly nice and  he had a lovely walk. He found a lot of deer tracks but although the tracks were fresh the makers of the tracks kept hidden. It wasn't until he was on his way back and had just come around a bend in the track that he spotted a huge shape in the trees. A moose! There he was, just laying there half hidden behind the trees starring at him.


He was only about 35 feet away so Mountain Man was able to see him pretty up close and personal, kinda like my little experience when I was walking to the outhouse. This one is pretty young and is probably only a year or two old. Take a real close look at his head, right in front of his ear. Do you see it? There is a round spot there where his antlers fell off and will be growing back soon.

It wasn't until Mountain Man was going to start walking away that he notice a much larger female moose standing and watching him. He has no idea how long she was there or if she had been there the entire time and he just didn't see her but she was just as close as this guy and much larger. Time to complete his walk and head home. Hah! So all the moose didn't leave! Wow! This place is getting busy! What will be next?

I did take a bit of a break that day and was able to capture a flock of birds feeding outside dining room window. It was so funny to watch them. They flew around and around the house and then settled on some tall plants and proceeded to eat. There were probably 25 to 30 of them.

They are very tiny. That bush is about 4 feet high.

Aren't they cute? I have no idea what they are but I love watching them. 


I'm really loving this new camera lens! I've never been able to take close ups like this before. 

7 comments:

  1. I love that last picture the best! What a sweet looking little birdie. His little dapper body and what appears to be his jaunty red cap. Are they a song bird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! I'm having so much fun with my camera. Can't wait till spring! I'm not sure if they are song birds. I haven't heard them sing so I doubt it but they sure are cute. :)

      Delete
  2. Glo, What beautiful pictures. I think the birds may be chipping sparrows, I have attached a copy of a website featuring them. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/chipping_sparrow/id/ac

    Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I will take a look at that website. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi there. I just found your blog and I can't stop reading it. This is exactly what my husband and I have decided to do. Just now we are trying to decide on where to live. Do you mind me asking where you guys ended up? I think I saw CAnada somewhere on the blog. WEre you already living in CAnada and or how did you get permits to live there if you weren't residents already. WE have looked at Canada but wondered how to do the citizenship part. any words of wisdom would be great. I'm about to be 40 and our son will graduate in 2 years and will be joing the military and it will be our time to start finalizing where to move. Thanks again and keep up the good work. By the way your pics are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Glad you like the blog Sabrina. :) Deciding where to live is the most important decision you will make so take your time. As I am Canadian living here is of course not a problem but I'm not sure what it would take to immigrate here. If you are in the US there are a lot of fairly nice states but do your research. Find out about taxes, rules and regulations around growing and selling your own food. Building regulations are important too. There is just so much to consider. Make a list of what is most important to the two of you and start researching. If I can help in any way let me know. This PDF has some interesting info in it but it is only a start.

      http://mercatus.org/sites/default/files/publication/Freedom_in_the_50_States.pdf

      Good luck!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...