Pages

Friday 8 June 2012

A Trip to the Little Outhouse

I'm sitting here laughing at my choice of titles for today's post but I just can't help it as it fits....

It all happened early this morning after milking. I really should have been in here writing today's blog but once I saw the raised herb beds Mountain Man built for me yesterday I just had to spend some time filling them. Mint, chives, garlic chives, sage, rosemary, parsley, thyme and coriander all planted. Yeah! Still a lot of planting to do but thankfully it is getting done.

Anyway, I'm getting off track again. So, there I am covered in dirt and I decided it was time to use the privy. Now I'm not going to go inside and drop dirt all over the house so went to use the outhouse. Besides in the summer we use it almost all the time. My trips there over the last two weeks though have been rather unusual. First of all I walked very loudly, stomping my feet a bit and talking to myself so as to alert our new resident of my presence. Then I slowly opened the door while standing behind it so as not to block the entry while a little grey body few out. Yep, I have a resident bird in my outhouse. If I don't let her fly out first she will flutter against the little window so hard I worry about her hurting herself.  I'm such a softy...

I'm not exactly sure what kind of bird she is, I think a wren or a sparrow. She has an almost solid soft grey color and has a small plump body. I am still surprised that she built her nest in our outhouse when it is used so often and she is so shy. Actually she built two nests before deciding which one to use.

I decided it was time to see what she was up too so went back and took a few pictures.



Eggs! There are actually five of them but it was too difficult to get them all in the picture as the nest is so close to the eves.

I'm wondering if they will actually hatch since she leaves the nest any time someone approaches but I'm sure hoping so. It will be so cute to watch them grow up. Oh, and you can be very assured the lid always stays closed... don't want anyone falling down the hole!

3 comments:

  1. Glo, Was your visitor a small, medium or large bird. The nest almost looks like a mud dobber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know you can shorten your long urls with BCVC and receive $$$ from every click on your shortened links.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...