Pages

Friday 6 July 2012

Recipe Thursday - Rhubarb Apple Jam



I really want to try some different jam recipes this year. Most of the time all I make is raspberry as it is our favorite but I figured it was time to change things up a bit. Since the rhubarb is the only thing ready so far I figured that is what I would start with. I love rhubarb! Mountain Man? Not so much... Of course he isn't much of a jam person either but how could I make a rhubarb jam he would like too? No strawberries here yet so that was out, but I did have some apples on hand. Hmmm..... Quite a bit of research ensued until I finally found something I wanted to try. I found one that looked very promising and pinned a lot of other ideas to my Pinterest board. Of course I had to change the recipe a bit to suit our tastes but it turned out fantastic!

I love the flavor of cinnamon and apples and the rhubarb gives it a nice tangy bite. Yum!! Of course the rhubarb kind of disappears into the jam due to the cooking but the flavor is still there and the little bits of apple are delicious. This is definitely a keeper! I only wish I had put them in smaller jars. I always use 500 ml and it would have been nice to do some in 250 ml for gifts. Hmmm.... I may be making more.

Rhubarb Apple Jam

6 cups rhubarb, sliced
4 cups apples, peeled and diced small (small is key as otherwise it just takes to long to soften them)
4 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1.5 tablespoons cinnamon
1 box pectin

It is really rather simple to put together. Find yourself a nice big pot. You want lots of room so it doesn't boil over. Add everything but the pectin.

the rhubarb

apple bits

sugar, water and cinnamon 

Stir it up good and slowly bring it to a boil. Be careful not to scorch it or you will ruin the whole batch! Go ahead, ask me how I know this!

Boil for about 20 minutes or until apple bits are nice and soft. Don't burn it!

Looking lovely!

Grab your box of pectin.

Dump it in and boil for another 5 minutes. Now ladle into sterilized jars and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. 


I should have filled the jars a bit more but I have a habit of overfilling so tend to be a bit more on the cautious side now. It made about 3.5 pints. Of course the 1/2 was gone before I could take a picture. Not as much as I had hoped but I will just have to double the recipe next time.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds great, I make an apple rhubarb pie so I know my sons would love this:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good!

    Thanks for linking this up at the Carnival of Home Preserving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time stopping in and have really enjoyed! Can't wait to read more! Stop by and follow at:
    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...